Sunday, September 4, 2011

DIY Bakers Twine

Are you hooked on Bakers Twine? I love that it gives whatever project it touches a funky, retro look. I was so excited when I stumbled across a video from UKMaryanne on how to make it yourself! So I decided to give it a try...

What you'll need:
  • white crochet thread #10 ($3 for 400 yards)
  • markers
  • ruler
  • painters tape
Wrap the thread around the ruler. Slide it all together so there are no gaps, but make sure they don't overlap.

Take your marker and draw 3 lines on the front. You'll need to make sure the ink saturates the thread, so I went over it a couple times. Next turn the ruler over & do the same thing to the back. Remove the thread & hang it to dry. I gave it about 10 minutes before I started working with it.

So quick, simple & cute!
Not exactly the real thing, but much cheaper & I love being able to create any color at my fingertips and in just a few minutes.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you , thank you, thank you for posting this! I knew there were how-tos on how to make this yourself and you just saved me a ton of looking. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a cute idea for any holiday come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done this the same way--I love all the uses for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ::smack forehead::
    That was so easy! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I will be doing this for some tags I am making for a craft show! Thanks for linking up at Craft and Tell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea, plus you can get any color you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh. My. GOODNESS. You are a genius! The real stuff is so expensive, I'm so excited that you came up with this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's cool and it would be something fun for the kids to do too!

    Tara@Trendy Treehouse

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm Nicole from Romanian Princess, I am your newest follower from a blog hop! Please follow me back! Thanks!

    www.romanianprincess.com

    XoXo Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! i was looking thru internet to buy this, but with hard money time, i found it expensive to pay $16. just for one...thanks a lot for this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete