Sunday, March 11, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Lucky Penny

To celebrate St. Patrick's Day this year, I wanted my little gal & I to do something different from the normal green candy treats! I was so excited when I stumbled across an adorable 'Lucky Penny' printable from Pumpkin Petunia. In just a few minutes, you can create these cute goodies & spread some cheer!

First you'll need to gather your pennies! I tried to get 2012 coins, but my bank didn't have them readily available. So we busted into our piggy bank & gathered up as many coins as we could. Upon inspection we realized pennies are d-i-r-t-y. Gross! We wanted shiny coins for our project, so we soaked our pennies in ketchup for 5-10 minutes.

After a quick rinse with water, they are brought back to their shiny golden luster. Crazy ~ but it does work!

Next we printed up some of the 'Lucky Penny' printables available HERE. We added a touch of glitter to the shamrocks for some sparkle & attached each coin with a dab of hot glue.

I also hand-stamped a few pennies to send to friends & family!
Everyone can always use an extra little bit of luck right?

All ready to be passed out to her classmates!

For each petal on the shamrock
This brings a wish your way -
Good health, good luck, and happiness
For today and every day.
~Author Unknown


Pin It


22 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I hope you'll stop over to Whimsy Wednesday and share this. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this on Flamingo Toes. Such a cute idea! I will give them to my boys with the years they were born.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally darling! I love a holiday "treat" that isn't sweet! thanks for linking up to make it monday!

    i'll be sharing on the Brassy Apple FB page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Featuring on Thursday at Bacon Time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW! I never knew soaking in ketchup brought the shine back to coins! Coke I know does but this I have to try!!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cute idea! And I had no idea ketchup could do that to a penny! Thanks so much for sharing this on Teagan's Travel's Destination: Inspiration linky party today. I so hope you will join us every week!


    http://teaganstravels.blogspot.com/2012/03/destination-inspiration-linky-party-6.html

    Loving your blog and am a follower!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea,Thanks for joining us at Creative Mondays :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Tfs! Visiting through Serendipity and Spice Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute idea!! Found you at Cowgirl Up today!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is too clever! I love the lucky penny.
    I found you on the Its so cheri blog hop and am now following you and would love a follow back:)

    My Turn (for us)

    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool .. I like the ketchup tip also. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! Such a cute printable. I never who would have thought to use ketchup to clean up pennies. I'm going to try it this weekend. I'd love for you to share this (and anything else you'd like) at my link party. It runs Tues-Sat. http://adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com/2012/03/terrific-tuesday-6.html
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute idea! Who wouldn't like to get one of those! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for sharing on Serenity Saturday!
    Can't wait to see what you link up later today!

    Natasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you shared this. I can't wait to see what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for stopping by and linking up to the Tuesday To Do Party! You are one of this week's List Makers. Feel free to stop by and grab a button!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Makes you wonder: how 'unlucky'/unhealthy is it it eat ketchup???!! Love your penny project. Really fun and beautiful execution.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a really fantastic idea and so much fun! Thanks so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really good idea & they turned out beautifully! BTW I had no idea that ketchup = shiny pennies. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete